Diagnodent: Advanced device for detecting decay
The Diagnodent can find cavities that other dental instruments can miss.
The device is designed as an adjunct to a traditional oral examination in the detection of decay. Teeth that are suspicious for decay are ideal candidates for survey with the device.
- Ability to locate decay in it's earliest stages.
- Early detection means smaller cavities and smaller fillings.
- Over 90% accurate!
- Earlier treatment often means no anesthesia needed to fix teeth.
What is Diagnodent?
Diagnodent is a pen-like probe that sends a safe, painless laser beam into the tooth. A numeric display & alarm signals when there are signs of hidden decay.
How does diagnodent work?
- The Diagnodent device measures laser fluorescence within the tooth structure.
- As the incident laser light is directed into the tooth, two-way hand-piece optics allows the unit to simultaneously quantify the reflected laser light energy.
- At the specific wavelength that the device operates (655 nm), clean healthy tooth structure exhibits little or no fluorescence, resulting in very low scale readings on the display.
- Decayed tooth structure exhibits fluorescence, proportionate to the degree of decay, resulting in elevated scale readings on the display.